Fields of application
Shears with pressure pad pose a serious risk of injury, both on the insertion side and also in the rear zone behind the shears. In the past, operators were protected from injury primarily by mechanical protective devices. On the insertion side, mechanical grids were mounted to form a barrier. The zone at the back of the shears was safeguarded in the main by protective doors or grids. However, the downside of mechanical safeguards is that they are highly inflexible and can be disruptive to the production process. A better alternative are optical safeguards from Fiessler Elektronik. There are a number of ideal solutions both for the insertion side (to protect fingers) and the rear zone at the back of the shears (requiring whole body protection), which offer a range of benefits in practice:
- Safety category 4, PL e, SIL 3
- Reduced installation costs due to ultra-simple installation, adjustment and commissioning.
- Savings in terms of wiring materials for safeguarding the rear zone, as one side contains active and the other side passive components.
- Increased availability and reliability due to the elimination of mechanical wear.
- The production process is unimpeded, as the areas can be freely accessed. This enables faster cycle times and higher productivity. Improved acceptance by employees/operators.
- No visual obstruction caused by mechanical grids.
- Durable, industrial-duty housing capable of withstanding mechanical stress.
- Integrated restart interlock and protection monitoring.
The light grid can be optionally supplied mounted in columns for rear zone guarding.